PCA Pocono Region President’s message June 2019
- We had a wonderful Membership meeting last night, great food in a nice venue. There was a fine turnout, with some new PCA members and some first-time attendees. A good time was had by all. Thanks to all that attended.
- The June 1st Watkins Glen Road and Track event is coming up. Tioga Downs is still holding 5 rooms until Friday May 24, so if you want to spend the night you need to act promptly. If you plan on driving the Parade laps of the Watkins Glen track you need to get your $20 payment to Ed Slusarczyk by Wednesday May 29th. We must pay in advance to get the discounted rate. This is shaping up to be a really fun event. We have over 15 cars signed up for the Parade laps and at least 10 staying at the hotel. See previous emails or contact Randy or me for contact information. Thanks to Randy Duckworth.
- On June 15 there is a Porsche Club Appreciation Day at Wyoming Valley/Napleton Porsche from 10 am to 2 pm. Lunch will be provided. We will have a wash and shine car show (cars need to be on display from 11 am to 1:30 pm, with an awards presentation at 2 pm) with the top 3 cars getting prizes. PCA members and the public can vote. We will learn about the 2020 Macan rollout, enjoy dealership and garage tours, and of course there will be opportunities to meet the staff. Thanks to Walk Weir.
- As an enticement to attend the Membership meetings we have tweaked the Oil Can raffle process to increase your chances of winning. Last night the raffle was for almost $900 and the person drawn was not present. In the future, you still have to be present to win and each member has to pay the $2 entry. The change is that there will now be a cap of $500, so with the new process at the next meeting there will be a drawing for $500 and a separate drawing for the balance (if it stays below $500). If we exceed $1000 there will be 3 drawings, two for $500, and a third for the remaining balance. So now there are even more reasons to attend the Membership meetings.
- Finally, I want to express my pride in this organization. While driving home from the meeting last night (westbound on I-80), there was a car with its flashers on not quite onto the left shoulder. While getting ready to call 911 to report that situation I saw a car pulled over onto the right shoulder. As I approached that car I recognized it as a 911, and that it was the car of a member that was at the meeting. So, I pulled over to check on the member. He was fine and had pulled over to call 911 to report the car on the left shoulder. While I was pulled over two more cars with members from our group pulled over to check on the 1st 2 cars that were pulled over. This was really cool to see us helping other motorists and looking out for our fellow PCA members. This event really emphasized the PCA mantra – ‘It’s not just the cars, it’s the people!”.
PCA Pocono Region President’s message February 28, 2019
Hi Folks – As March draws near hopefully we won’t get too much “in like a lion” weather but rather a lot of nice “out like a lamb” weather. Our next meeting is at the Powerhouse Restaurant in White Haven, PA on March 19 at 6 pm (the standard 3rd Tuesday). I hope to see you there and you can hear about upcoming events. The February membership meeting at Arcaro and Genell’s was very nice and well attended.
John Emmett Pocono Region President