PCA Pocono Region President’s message February 2020
Hello Porsche Fans – well, January is almost over with no major weather events around us, it is almost Groundhog Day (let’s hope for an early Spring and thanks for the movie Bill Murray), and the Super Bowl is Sunday (I hope your team wins or at least that the commercials are enjoyable). On a sad note Porsche didn’t win any of the classes at the 24 Hours of Daytona but our members that were there seemed to have a great experience and posted lots of photos and videos on the Pocono Region FaceBook page (Porsche Club of America, Pocono Region Zone 2).
Our next Membership Meeting will be on February 18 at Arcaro and Genell’s restaurant, 443 South Main Street, Old Forge PA, 18518 and their phone # is 570-457–5555.
The PCA Tech Tactics East is in Easton on February 22nd and 23rd. Signups are open and filling up rapidly.
The 2020 Boardwalk Reunion hotel reservations are open and information is on their website ( BoardwalkReunion.org ).
For our members interested in track events the PCA has updated the HPDE rules, the Riverside California Region is inviting everyone to their AutoCross, and the Riesentoter Region (just south of us) has issued their schedule of HPDE events (details on MotorSportsReg.com). With Spring coming a track junkie’s thoughts turn to melted rubber .
Finally, your Board wants volunteers for a committee to help with updating our website ( http://poc.pca.org/ ) and social media presence. Please contact me, Jim Becker, John Novotnak, or Mike Valenzano to express your interest.
Thanks for your involvement and let’s keep having safe fun with our cars!
PCA Pocono Region President’s message January 2020
Happy New Year to the Pocono Region PCA membership.
I hope that everyone’s holiday season has been safe and happy so far.
Our next membership meeting will be on the standard third Tuesday of the month, so January 21st, 2020 at the Red Lobster in Wilkes-Barre (at 10 East End Center, Wilkes Barre, PA 18702 and phone of 570-825-6122). Please be there by 6 pm for dinner and we’ll start the meeting at 7 pm.
We had a lot of good events during 2019 and I expect that we’ll continue to have a lot of fun during 2020. If you have ideas for events and especially if you would like to run them let me know. I’ve attached the current list of Upcoming Events for 2020 to this email. ( Pocono Region Upcoming Events )
Winter creates different maintenance challenges for our cars so please take care of them so that you can continue to enjoy them.
Keep the shiny side up and the sticky side down and I hope to see you soon.
President Pocono Region PCA
PCA Pocono Region President’s message September 2019
Hi Pocono Region members – I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying summer drives in their cars. I have included information about our Region’s upcoming events in this email and as a link below.
The PCA National Open House is September 14th in Columbia Md (details below).
The sad news is that the Rally is being postponed due to a number of reasons. We’re still trying to get this together for later in the fall.
As the leaves have started falling remember that wet leaves on the road or in your yards/walking paths can be very slippery.
I’m looking forward to seeing you at our next Membership meeting at ‘The Cafe’ on September 17th.
Have fun and stay safe. John Emmett
September 14 – Get ready for another PCA National Office Open House! Join us on Saturday, September 14, 2019 for cars, food, and fun with your fellow club members. Tour the national office, learn some cool PCA history with Executive Director Vu Nguyen, and pick up some PCA gear at our pop-up store. We’ll also be raffling off some great prizes, so be sure to register and save your spot!
Registration is open at the following link.
September 13, 14 & 15 – Weatherly Hill Climb – 13th @ 7 pm – parade of cars, 14 & 15 – racing from 9 to 4.
September 17 – Membership meeting at The Café on Route 315 in Wilkes-Barre, dinner at 6 pm and the meeting at 7 pm.
September 20 through 22 – PCA Zone 1 Concours event at Shawnee Inn.
September 21 – Air Cooled Vintage Swap Meet at Ski Roundtop.
October 15 – Membership meeting is on October 15th at Top of the 80’s in Hazleton, dinner at 6 pm and the meeting at 7 pm.
October 19 – Boardwalk Reunion, Ocean City, NJ.
PCA Pocono Region President’s message June 2019
- We had a wonderful Membership meeting last night, great food in a nice venue. There was a fine turnout, with some new PCA members and some first-time attendees. A good time was had by all. Thanks to all that attended.
- The June 1st Watkins Glen Road and Track event is coming up. Tioga Downs is still holding 5 rooms until Friday May 24, so if you want to spend the night you need to act promptly. If you plan on driving the Parade laps of the Watkins Glen track you need to get your $20 payment to Ed Slusarczyk by Wednesday May 29th. We must pay in advance to get the discounted rate. This is shaping up to be a really fun event. We have over 15 cars signed up for the Parade laps and at least 10 staying at the hotel. See previous emails or contact Randy or me for contact information. Thanks to Randy Duckworth.
- On June 15 there is a Porsche Club Appreciation Day at Wyoming Valley/Napleton Porsche from 10 am to 2 pm. Lunch will be provided. We will have a wash and shine car show (cars need to be on display from 11 am to 1:30 pm, with an awards presentation at 2 pm) with the top 3 cars getting prizes. PCA members and the public can vote. We will learn about the 2020 Macan rollout, enjoy dealership and garage tours, and of course there will be opportunities to meet the staff. Thanks to Walk Weir.
- As an enticement to attend the Membership meetings we have tweaked the Oil Can raffle process to increase your chances of winning. Last night the raffle was for almost $900 and the person drawn was not present. In the future, you still have to be present to win and each member has to pay the $2 entry. The change is that there will now be a cap of $500, so with the new process at the next meeting there will be a drawing for $500 and a separate drawing for the balance (if it stays below $500). If we exceed $1000 there will be 3 drawings, two for $500, and a third for the remaining balance. So now there are even more reasons to attend the Membership meetings.
- Finally, I want to express my pride in this organization. While driving home from the meeting last night (westbound on I-80), there was a car with its flashers on not quite onto the left shoulder. While getting ready to call 911 to report that situation I saw a car pulled over onto the right shoulder. As I approached that car I recognized it as a 911, and that it was the car of a member that was at the meeting. So, I pulled over to check on the member. He was fine and had pulled over to call 911 to report the car on the left shoulder. While I was pulled over two more cars with members from our group pulled over to check on the 1st 2 cars that were pulled over. This was really cool to see us helping other motorists and looking out for our fellow PCA members. This event really emphasized the PCA mantra – ‘It’s not just the cars, it’s the people!”.
PCA Pocono Region President’s message February 28, 2019
Hi Folks – As March draws near hopefully we won’t get too much “in like a lion” weather but rather a lot of nice “out like a lamb” weather. Our next meeting is at the Powerhouse Restaurant in White Haven, PA on March 19 at 6 pm (the standard 3rd Tuesday). I hope to see you there and you can hear about upcoming events. The February membership meeting at Arcaro and Genell’s was very nice and well attended.
John Emmett Pocono Region President